Friday, April 29, 2011

Cricket at my college


I am a cricketer. The only game which I know from the childhood. During my third standard annual vacation at Chennai my brother bought me a bat name "county", brand bat of Mr.KapilDev. The bat was more than half of my height since then I started playing cricket. I'm learning still but the enthusiasm & interest has gone down.

Still I have the mind of playing cricket,but not as a professional. I'm the captain of our department(EEE) during my final year, in cricket we won Mech,M.Sc(last year champions), CSC in a row & got into the finals but unfortunate to lose it.

How did I got selected into the department cricket team is still an unbelievable one. During my second year we were playing cricket on a sunny day, it was a long gap I haven't played cricket almost for an year.

According to me I'm a confident batsman, can bat well even without practice & as a bowler I'm less confident & as a fielder I have least confident that too after started playing in cork ball at college usually I fear lot during fielding.

Coming back to my selection into the team, on that day I'm fielding at point. It was a ball from pace bowler, the batsman hit the ball hard enough & added some extra energy to it.I caught the ball to my right, stretching both my hands, almost the ball was on my right hand, everything happened in less than half a second. My right palm burnt like anything after the catch, players were running towards me ,I hid my right hand back & clashing their hands using my left. A final year guy notice this & i was put into the team all because of that stunning catch, but I knew I'm a poor fielder.

My first match at college it was with E&I department we fielded first & they got enough score on the board, the team captain asked me can you open batting, I had no confident in opening the game first time I wear cricket kits get into bat, I was there for 6 overs I played like a test batsman few shouted from outside that "get out let the other players can bat you are too slow" as the game progress I hit two sixes in two consecutive balls, then I could hear claps ,roar from the crowd & teammates I become a popular cricketer after that.

In my tenth standard vacation I got an opportunity to get into a cricket club which planned to took players to play matches at Gujarat. My parents didn't allow me. During higher secondary after the first match at hostel,the next day selectors were in a rush of picking me in their team. I love to watch cricket matches, India's batting especially. I feel proud to be a cricketer & also proud to born in a nation INDIA to which "Sachin -The God of cricket" belongs.

2 comments:

  1. nice senthil...
    keep it up...
    proud to be a fan of the cricket god Mr.Sachin Tendulkar...
    - Vignesh.T EEE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indian team just missed a great batsman huh..??

    ReplyDelete